If you’re visiting the US as a family soon, that’s great news. Of course, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to cover the entire country. With 50 states covering a huge portion of the North American continent, there’s an overwhelming amount of family-friendly activities to take on. To help add some more fun and excitement to your trip, we’ve picked six amazing locations, full of adventure, from across the US for you. Check them out:
1. Florida Keys When this blogger’s son saw the ocean by Florida Keys, he asked if they had coloured the water. That’s how vividly and beautifully blue it is. Indeed, they continue to add that it’s the sort of place to linger and however long you’re planning to stay, always stay longer if possible. Key family attractions include Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservancy, Hemingway’s House, the Turtle Hospital in Islamorada and Theater of the Sea.
2. New York Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The High Line, and the American Museum of Natural History – New York has an abundance of family-friendly attractions. The city might seem overwhelming at first, but as long as you plan well, you’ll have a once-in- a-lifetime experience together.
3. Hollywood, California Although Hollywood is better known for glitz and glam and celebrity hangouts, it’s also a great place to visit with children. If you like outdoor activities, you could head up to Beachwood Drive where you’ll find horse stables and the opportunity to trek closer to the famous Hollywood sign. Alternatively, you could visit Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium to see delights such as a portrait of Michael Jackson made from candy, or compare facts and figures interactively at the Guinness World Records Museum.
4. Hersheypark, Pennsylvania Of course, we could have easily put Disneyland on this list. But the US is home to loads more family-friendly theme parks, one of which is Hersheypark in Pennsylvania. The Secret Traveller says it’s got something for all ages and thrill- seeking levels including thrilling rides and a pretty epic waterpark, plus plenty of delicious edibles. You can even make your own chocolate bar.
5. Yellowstone National Park The ultimate outdoor adventure, Yellowstone National Park offers the chance to see and learn about the natural world’s wonders including canyons, waterfalls, and geyser basins. But apparently 90% of people visiting Yellowstone National Park don’t go more than 1/4 mile off the main roadwhile there – so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there and explore.
6. Mount Rushmore, South Dakota You might have seen loads of photos of Mount Rushmore before – but nothing compares to the awe of seeing it in real life. Try the loop trail to get a closer look at the iconic masterpiece which blends art and nature in a never-seen- before way. Although you can expect lots of stairs and to cover about half a mile, it will be something your family talks about for years to come.
Where have you visited as a family in the US? Share your suggestions and experiences with us.